When we commissioned uber cake designer Lily Vanilli to create a very special cake. A cake that was to be a (gluten free) celebration of a client’s mother who swim across an Italian Lake.
Inside the ‘lake cake’, that looks like a piece of vintage set from Thunderbirds, is a flour-less chocolate cake.
Here is a recipe for Lily’s (more simple version – phew!) flour-less chocolate cake, so you can share the gluten free goodness too.
Flour-less Chocolate Cake – serves 8-10
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
300g Dark Chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
1 tsp Espresso Powder (optional)
200g Unsalted Butter, cubed
6 Eggs, separated
100g Brown Sugar, preferably dark
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Good Pinch of Sea Salt
5 tbsp Cocoa Powder, sifted
Handful of Cacao Nibs (optional)
One 23cm round cake tin, greased and lined with baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- In a bain marie, melt together the chocolate, espresso powder and butter, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar on high for 5 minutes until yellow and creamy, then ass the vanilla and salt.
- In a clean, dry bowl beat the egg whites and the baking powder together, starting on a low speed and increasing the speed gently until stiff peaks are formed.
- Stir the chocolate mixture into the yolk mixture, then stir in the cocoa. Now stir in a small spoonful of the beaten whites. Once that’s mixed through, carefully fold in the remaining whites in two parts, until just incorporated.
- Transfer to your prepared tin, level out to the edges and sprinkle cacao nibs on top if using. Bake for around 25 minutes – the middle should wobble slightly when the tin is shaken gently. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely or serving hot.
For more incredible treats and food post, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram @delicious.agency and if you’re looking for a bespoke way to celebrate any occasion – why not contact Lick London, our gastronomic concierge service.
Contact us on 020 8672 6242 or email us at email@example.com