Our exploration of entertaining ideas knows no limits. We have been gallivanting around all areas of London picking out the best and most interesting ideas, eats and spaces. Recently we turned our eyes (and mouths) over to SE London again. Read on to see what treasures we found in the artistic and cosmopolitan melting pot that is Peckham.
We immersed ourselves in this young, fresh and vibrant area while investigating the veritable cornucopia of rooftop hangouts, make-do bars under railway arches, tapas joints and metropolitan spaces. We found plenty of options to tickle many a fancy, including: A vista rich evening outside at Frank’s cafe, expertly mixed cocktails from Peckham Springs and delectable Thai street food from the Begging Bowl.
Here is a quick pick of some of our top hot spots to check out.
1. Frank’s Cafe: Frank’s Cafe is Peckham’s very own recurring pop-up bar on top of a multi-story car park, part of the BOLD TENDENCIES SCULPTURE PROJECT. Arrive early to nab a table and avoid the queues that have been forming over the recent sun saturated evenings. Sit back and enjoy a Negroni’s (or 2) with a distinctly London view.
2. Peckham Springs: The best bar in Peckham? Maybe… This seems to be the local consensus from the cool kids on the block. The bar is housed in the Sassoon gallery under Peckham Rye Station. The cocktails are well thought out and expertly made, we recommend the ‘Peckham Spring Water’ which is the house special; Bombay Sapphire gin, Elderflower cordial, clapped mint leaves, lime wedges and juice stirred with a tonic top. This summer pop-up is only open on Friday and Saturday nights
3. Begging Bowl: A Thai Street food restaurant that encourages sharing, the perfect venue for meals with friends, dates and families. The simple but delicious menu is easy to choose from and flavoured using quality and fresh ingredients. The wine list is also really reasonable with a glass of Prosecco starting at £5.85
4. The Refreshment Rooms: A tapas style eatery, where you can while away an evening lingering over cheese and charcuterie with a few glasses of wine. Everything on the menu sounds so delicious it’s hard to pick just a few dishes!
5. Rooftop Cinema: Our friends the Rooftop Cinema have set themselves up on top of the Bussey Building, enjoy great views and a whole host of movies from Pan’s Labyrinth to The Goonies. Book early as tickets sell out fast! Click here for August’s program: http://www.rooftopfilmclub.com/peckham-program.html
Follow us for up to date info and inspiration for entertaining in the city: twitter@deliciouslondon
We also create bespoke edible itineraries, if you need a little assistance planning your eats and entertaining: Click here for more info.